Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Five Things You Dont Know

A tag from Arima

Five things you (probably) don't know about me.

1. I am an Egyptian nationalist to the extent that when listening to Arabic music I ONLY prefer Egyptian singers, I cant stand the sound of non-Egyptian Arabic dialects, every Egyptian I meet feels like a brother or a sister to me and I have trouble taking a relationship seriously unless the girl is Egyptian.


2. I talk to strangers where ever I go, the grocery store, at the bank, the airport, in traffic and especially in restaurants Its never a simple "hi how are you". I enjoy saying weird things to strangers. Something inside me really enjoys when they give me that crazy look like, "dont talk to me or I'll kill you" but when they have a clever response its like finding my soul mate. I've made alot of friends that way. Some of my friends hate when I do that, "its embarrassing" which makes me do it even more.


3. I read the encyclopedia several times a day for entertainment. I wish I was joking but I will seriously look up anything and everything on Answers.com or Wikipedia. I soak up information quickly, long before the Internet was common I was known for containing alot of so called "useless information", my friends consult me several times a day to ask the most random questions.



4. I have no Patience for people who become visibly uncomfortable in "ethnic" environments. I once took a group of American friends to an Arabic restaurant. When the waitress came to take our order one of the guys interrogated her about the contents of the food, asking the Arab waitress, "does this have any weird spices in it?" After realizing he couldn't pronounce anything on the menu and discovering they didnt have french fries, he decided not to eat and ordered a Pepsi. The waitress responded, "a Pepsi? OK, I promise there are no 'weird spices' in the Pepsi either". How embarrassing.



5. I can eat an extraordinary amount of hot sauce, my tolerance for hot food is obscene. There is a restaurant nearby famous for how hot their chicken wings are. They have three levels of hotness: Hot, Suicide and Psycho. The record for Psycho wings was once set at 6, my friend dared me to eat 4, I went in and had 8. These wings were no joke, I almost died as a result! Later on in the day my hands started to burn like they were on fire and my stomach was boiling like hot coals in my gut, like a demon dancing in my stomach! I rolled around on the ground for hours screaming! I still don't know what damage I might have done to my body but I will tell you this... The pain in my stomach was nothing in comparison to the pain in my ass after I expelled the demon!


8 Comments:

At 3:19 PM, Blogger Twosret said...

Oh I would like to give you hard time. How many times have you guys visited Egypt? and how long have you lived there?

Just some nakad :)

 
At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

in regards to no.1, what about egyptian wannabes? i mean arima was convinced i was egyptian until i told her otherwise... howa da il nizam...

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger D.B. Shobrawy said...

LOL Pete, not only have I eaten the wings at McGees but I KILLED them!

Twosret....Are you kidding me? Dont think that because I live in America that I have somehow forgotten about Egypt. I gurantee you I know Egypt better than you, Its the reason I have this blog. ;)

Izzi- I'll take Egyptian wannabes as long as they know their stuff and have a cute face....and some other unmentionables, Why? Would you like to fill out an application?

 
At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooo...some Egyptian rivalry going on here huh? "I'm more egyptian than you"? :p

Thanks for answering the tag though D.b and with regards to the last one....I think a little too much info there :)

 
At 12:39 AM, Blogger Modern Pharaoh said...

Bro i feel the same way about Egypt. I made a myspace page dedicated to Egypt.

www.myspace.com/EGYPT_MASR

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Rambling Hal said...

Only if the girl is Egyptian, eh? Well, what if she put on an Egyptian accent and swore allegiance to Egypt and everything Egyptian? Would that help? ;)

And with the Arabic music thing, does that extend to, say, Fairouz? Even her? Random questions out of my curious nature - humour me!

And I love that talking to stranger thing! LOVE IT! At least that way you ensure you're never bored. Can't find entertainment, will have to create it yourself. WOOHOO.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger D.B. Shobrawy said...

Hal- If you can manage an Egyptian accent we might be able to work something out. As far as Fairouz, she is GREAT but I still would choose Abdel Halim.

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am like you when it comes to preference of one Arab culture over the other; I prefer Algerian or Lebanese to any other sort. I can tolerate Moroccan music (I feel like they've ripped off many of our styles though). I enjoy Egyptian stuff though. I read the encyclopedia as well, except I read the print version moreso. It's how I grew up! I put hot sauce on everything.

Funny post! I'll make one of my own!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home