Tuesday, November 14, 2006

What's Happening To Me?



I have always hated sushi, it has never been my thing. Often times I have been invited out with friends to go to some nice sushi place and I always decline saying, "I would rather eat out of a dumpster". Sometimes I go anyways in the interest of social interaction, generally I'm that guy at the sushi place trying to order french fries, I know you've seen me. Also I'm one of those people with staunch opinions which rarely bend or fold so when I tell someone I hate sushi I always reiterate my distaste whenever the topic arises...

Yours Truly: I couldn't help over hearing you guys talking about sushi...how do you eat that crap?

Recently I was at my friend "Easy Money's" house watching a basketball game when his brother "Socrates" arrived with $30 worth of sushi from one of Chicago's "best" sushi restaurants. Naturally I had to say something...

Yours Truly: Eww Sushi?

Socrates: I love it, I could eat it everyday.

Yours Truly: How much did that cost you?

Socrates: 30 bucks.

Yours Truly: Right and wouldn't you rather spend 30 bucks on a fine steak, appetizer and drink instead of cold slimy raw fish.

Socrates: No way I love this!

Yours Truly: 30 bucks for raw fish and white rice, as we speak some Japanese businessmen are laughing at you while they count their money!

Socrates: Here why don't you try some?

Yours Truly: I'll try it just to remind myself how gross it is.

So I popped what looked like rice, seaweed and a spider on top into my mouth. I can't say I was completely repelled by it but not satisfied by it either. It tasted just as I had remembered, cold, slimy, bland and unsatisfying.

Fast forward two weeks later. I am sitting talking to some friends trying to figure out what to eat for lunch, I have a desire for something that's not greasy or overly filling so I walk to the cafeteria and what strikes my eye? Sushi! I looked at it like it was a long lost enemy, like two cowboys waiting to draw our pistols. A tray of 9 pieces, "looks healthy". I felt bitter when I picked it up, I grabbed a bag of chips and a bottle of water to help equalize the guilt. I payed and returned to my friends. As I sat there looking at my "meal" (the above picture) I found myself lost and confused, staring at the sushi. Then my friend "Adrian" looked at me and said...

Adrian: Whats wrong aren't you going to eat that?

Yours Truly: I'm not sure, I feel guilty like I am betraying myself. I have hated sushi for so long, If I eat this does that make me a hypocrite?

Adrian: Hmm that's tough.

Yours Truly: You're supposed to say "NO" and make me feel better!

Adrian: Just eat it!

So I ate the damn sushi, piece by piece, doused in soy sauce and topped with wasabi. I put waaaaaaaay to much wasabi, after each bite I grabbed my nose and screamed "WASAAAAABIIIII"!!!!!!! What's happening to me, I'm eating sushi like some damn hippie and kind of enjoying it. Is this the end of the world as we know it? Either way I know some people who will be glad to hear the news just so they can rub it in my face!

5 Comments:

At 2:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ask them to cook it. If its a sushi joint then its Japanese and the good ones will light a fire on your table for you. Ask for the negimaki. If they dont, find one that will.

 
At 3:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

D.B is turning into a hippy!!! you're turning soft man :p

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Rhino-itall said...

i HATE sushi. and friends who eat it tell me those "california rolls" aren't really sushi, so maybe you're still ok until you eat the real stuff.

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Carmen said...

I will NEVER eat sushi. NEVER.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger D.B. Shobrawy said...

Pete have you thought maybe they put OPIUM in Sushi and thats why it is this seemingly addictive quality to it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home