Friday, September 08, 2006

Who's Your Habibi?

I was driving down the street with my friend "Special K" near my apartment last week, I had my windows rolled down, listening to some good music at high volume when I suddenly found my self stuck in traffic only 3 blocks from my street. There was a mob of people crossing the road and several charter busses lining the street, apparently Louis Farahkhan was giving a speech about how much he hates white people and Jews. The following details require me to describe my appearance.

I'm not the most Egyptian looking Egyptian, first of all I have Straight hair as opposed to the usual brillow pad head found in most Egyptians. I don't have any "extreme" Egyptian features, for example I was blessed with a "normal" un-Egyptian nose, my eye brows don't touch and hair doesn't grow under my eye on the top of my cheek. I'm your typical brown man, basically I look like a Mexican. I've been mistaken for a Mexican more times than Paris Hilton has seen a mans winky. To add to the Mexi-look I was coming back from the Gym so I was looking extra greasy.

While stuck in the traffic there was a car of ghetto youths (with all the markings of gang members) to my right who were trying to creep ahead into my lane in order to avoid getting trapped behind the bus ahead. I noticed he was trying to get my attention so I turned down my music and leaned in towards my passenger window when finally the driver yelled out to me,

Ghetto youth- "Yo habibi, habibi, can I get ahead of you?" *
Me- "uhhh, yea sure"

I thought my ears were playing tricks on me, I completely ignored the fact that this guy called me habibi, then Special K turned to me and said,

Special K- "Did that black dude just call you habibi?"
Me- "I'm not sure, I think so. Dude do I look like an A-rab?"
Special K- "Umm no I don't think so"
Me-"Dude where did that guy learn what a habibi was?"

I guess I should be happy, apparently I'm more Egyptian looking than I thought.

*Habibi-"My love" in Arabic.

8 Comments:

At 11:54 PM, Blogger Twosret said...

I have to ditto n., on this one and I will be happy to see what is in your pocket D.B. :) you got tagged thanks to n.

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger D.B. Shobrawy said...

You want to see whats in my pocket twosret? What exactly does that mean, it sounds sort of skandalous.

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger D.B. Shobrawy said...

Let me acknowledge something...Yes Egyptians come in all shapes and sizes as people do but lets be honest the vast majority have boushy eye brows and hair like a loofa!

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger D.B. Shobrawy said...

You've been blessed Pete. I Have also been blessed I'm happy to say.

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Leilouta said...

I look like an Arab ( whatever that means) and nobody called me habibti :(

 
At 6:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leilouta, you just look HOT period!

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Miss Carnivorous said...

That was not nice, what you said about paris hilton. In the US we don't make fun of the handicapped.

 
At 2:15 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

honestly 2 tell yall the truth, i lived in america 4 about 5 years, n everybodys first immpression on me is a mexican/latino. I got italian and native american before to. Then i look at myself in the mirror, i see a brown man, w/ black hair (yea i got 2 eyebrows not 1) and thick lips. I just wonder wut does the "True Egyptian" look like, i mean u go to egyptian and u c many varieties of people, light dark skinned, thin and thicked haired. Thats due to all the mixes egypt had fromt the past when egypt was conquered by many empires so idk, jus thought i say dat "HaBiBi"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home