Monday, September 18, 2006

What A Headline!


I opened my Yahoo news feed page this evening, as I do every evening, and scanned the headlines. I generally search and read articles until I find something that compels me to write, today I stumbled into a headline which required no reading, "Iraq Bracing For Ramadan Violence". I nearly choked on my tea when I saw that. Apparently in the Middle East violence goes up during the holidays which I guess shouldn't surprise me, I know what Egypt's like during Ramadan, no body works, all the stores are closed, people are starving from fasting and crabby from waking up early to pray, once sundown hits everyone is fighting over food. Take that same scenario, add civil war and you have a lot of angry gun toting people ready to kill over the last falafel sandwich.

5 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger Leilouta said...

Too funny, my mom asked her Tunisian friend once why parents bought kids new clothes and sweets for the Eid at the end of Ramadan when it is the parents who suffered the most from fasting etc...her friend said," they reward them for being moody and assholes for a month."

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger D.B. Shobrawy said...

Donkeyhue is that around 48th and 7th st? I think I've heard of it.

 
At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is hilarious!

http://strandedinrome.blogspot.com/2006/06/crossing-streets.html

Shobrawy, is this true?

"In Cairo for instance, there is an unspoken agreement between drivers and pedestrians stating that drivers always have right of way. Always. It is up to pedestrians to run for their lives when a lull in traffic manifests itself. If they die in the process, they will not get much sympathy from any one, even from close family members."

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger D.B. Shobrawy said...

Pretty much but I swear its easier crossing the street in Cairo than in the U.S. I cant explain it, its like some sort of phenomenon but in Cairo the traffic is so bad and the cars are going so slow that you'd have to be crossing the street on a walker in order to get hit. In Cairo you will never see a car going over 20 mph.

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Miss Carnivorous said...

That looks hella good. Hamas says that felafel is anti islamic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home