Monday, September 18, 2006

Adding My 2 Cents On The Pope.


Over the past weekend my inbox has been flooded by readers of my site asking me my opinion of the controversy surrounding the Pope. I didn't feel compelled to write about it until I was approached by several friends (who are unaware of my sites existence) demanding my views.

This is how I see it, obviously some Muslims are angry, angry enough to demand the Popes murder, angry enough to burn down some churches, angry enough to murder an elderly Nun, but Muslim world if you can hear me, "don't be angry"!! Not in the interest of peace or a moderate and tolerant world, who cares about that stuff? I'm interested in accuracy... I'll explain. The Pope quoted 14th century theologian Manuel II Paleogus who said in reference to Islam, that the Prophet Muhammad encouraged Islam to be spread by the sword. Tell me is this truly a matter of contention? If you accused a Christian of believing sinners would go to hell, would he deny it, should he?

The fact that Islam was spread by sword wielding armies on horse back is not denied by Christians, historians or Muslims, so what's the fuss? Why should Muslims hide what the Quran teaches and be angered by statements like the Popes, does the Quran not say,

"Fight those who do not believe in God and the last day...and fight People of the Book, who do not accept the religion of truth (Islam) until they pay tribute by hand, being inferior." 9:29

and

"I will instill terror into the hearts of the unbelievers: smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them." 8:12

I believe the Pope's intentions were to express his difference of opinion with Islamic teaching and to inspire "open dialogue" as he said, which resulted in the Pope speaking a little more freely than the Vatican probably would have wanted.

To my disgust many OpEd pieces I read were filled with liberal, idealistic gibberish which ignorantly expect the Pope to agree with all religions like some kind of fruit cake, sissy Dali Lama. Allow me to turn on my bull horn and make a little announcement,

THE POPE IS NOT IN THE BUSINESS OF BELIEVING THERE IS ANY TRUE RELIGION BUT CHRISTIANITY!!!

Unfortunately some people forgot that, like every news channel I watched. "Should the Pope apologize", was splashed across every news show graphic. Which leads me to my next point...

Benedict you idiot, why did you apologize!!?? Truly a sissy, Dali Lama move from His Holy Popeness. By apologizing the Pope only furthered the misconception that there was something wrong or insensitive about what he said. Which by the way was a half ass apology anyway, it was one of those apologies you make when some one forces you to apologize but you're not really sorry. He said,

"I am deeply sorry for the reactions in some countries to a few passages of my address at the University of Regensburg, which were considered offensive to the sensibility of Muslims."

That's like saying, "I'm sorry you're so ugly that nobody likes you".

6 Comments:

At 8:38 AM, Blogger Rhino-itall said...

Very good. I agree that the pope punked out. He really didn't say anything wrong. The question of course is if the Muslim community doesn't want to be known as violent, why do they react to every perceived slight with violence?

I don't know too much about Islam, but if i open my eyes i see churches burned and a nun murdered for a comment by the pope.

I saw violent protests for some cartoons in a danish newspaper

I saw violence over desecration of the Koran at Gitmo (which was bullshit by the way)

I saw violence over the miss world pageant.

I see NO Muslim leaders denouncing ANY of these acts of violence.

These are just recent things that i can remember. I'm no expert on religion, but in the untutored eyes of this layman Islam is not a peaceful religion.

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger D.B. Shobrawy said...

actually I thought the response of Pope Shenouda was a responsible one. Pope Shenouda leads a church in a country where he must always be cautious of how to keep his people safe, he knows what to say and what not to say, no matter what his educated opinion is. His response to Benedict was kind of like, 'take it from me, you shouldnt say things like that, true or not, no good comes from it, trust me I know.' His words exactly were, "the Pope should have taken into consideration reactions of the Islamic world." and thats true, I think Benedicts biggest mistake in all of this, was thinking he could say what he said without inflaiming radical muslim communities. Know what I mean?

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Miss Carnivorous said...

I am angry at the Pope. He should have remained silent, issued no statement and beefed up his security. That is all!

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Rhino-itall said...

" I think Benedicts biggest mistake in all of this, was thinking he could say what he said without inflaiming radical muslim communities. Know what I mean? "

Yes, i know what you mean. If you say something, anything that might be construed as anti muslim or disrespectful there will be riots and violence.

What i don't know is, why? Are these people primitive? stupid? inferior? lost? misled? all of the above? none of the above? I don't understand.

 
At 4:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of the Egyptian bloggers are saying there is a rumor that Sand Monkey was arrested and detained upon his return from the US and is now being held at the Torah Mazra3a prison in Cairo? Can any one confirm this? I am getting quite worried about him…

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger D.B. Shobrawy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home